No votes
Dr. Cable
9%
other
45%

Total votes : 11

Who's to blame for Zane?

Postby Anna-wa on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:25 pm

I remember this topic on the old Westerboard.
We all know what happened to Zane in Specials. (If anybody hasn't read it though, this is your spoiler warning.)
So who's to blame for Zane?

In memory of the old Westerboard: This Place is Not How It Used to Be
Anna-wa

Cash: 177

Re: Who's to blame for Zane?

Postby Lauren-la on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm

I think Zane himself is the one to blame. All of those people contributed, but Zane made the choice to take the pill, to not go to the doctors in NPT, to go to Diego, to push the operation there to the limit ...
Life is not about how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.<3
Lauren-la

Cash: 8

Postby helyn-la on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:14 pm

It's all Maddy's fault. She should have been more spacific and told tally that you have to take both pills. Or that they're different. Or something! She probably anted something like this to happen, she always hated Tally. Maybe she was hoping Tally would only take the one pill. She's an evil itch-bay. :evil:
*special circumstances*♫
helyn-la

Cash: 102

Postby lace-la on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 am

well oviously its maddys fault , what the dang heck was she thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet she does'nt evan care about Zane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"hi ping-la"
lace-la

Cash: 32

Postby lace-la on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:51 am

well oviously its maddys fault , what the dang heck was she thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet she does'nt evan care about Zane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
lace-la wrote:well oviously its maddys fault , what the dang heck was she thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet she does'nt evan care about Zane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i hate you maddy :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:
"hi ping-la"
lace-la

Postby lace-la on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:52 am

lace-la wrote:well oviously its maddys fault , what the dang heck was she thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet she does'nt evan care about Zane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i hate you maddy :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:
"hi ping-la"
lace-la

Postby Anna-wa on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Okay, so you hate her enough to post two extra posts of pretty much the same thing? ;)

Anyway, I think Scott's to blame. He wanted Tally and David to end up together so much that he didn't even consider some of us might want it the other way around. :evil:

I can see how it would be Maddy's fault, but she just forgot.

In memory of the old Westerboard: This Place is Not How It Used to Be
Anna-wa

Cash: 177

Postby helyn-la on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 pm

I get what you're saying, but I'm still going to blame Maddy. 'Cause that's more fun =P

And I think lace just got confused.
*special circumstances*♫
helyn-la

Cash: 102

Postby Jenn-la on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:16 pm

I don't think anyone's to blame for Zane's fate. That's kind of the point. It's this huge tragic mess, if just one thing had changed anywhere along the way everything would have been different. If only Tally had taken both pills, or if Maddy had been more specific, or if Tally had approached Zane again BEFORE he got to Diego, or if Tally had stuck to following Zane once she was in Diego ... change any one of those and you change everything. The sheer maddening reality of it is part of the beauty of how Westerfeld set it up, all the events fall into place and it's not one single action that leads Zane to his fate but a series of them.

Mind you, I'm a major Zane fan and I cried inconsolably when he died in the book. I was really, really pulling for him and Tally. I just KNEW they were going to make it and get back together. They had to. But Zane is fallout from the war and a graphic way to hit home the consequences of Tally's actions and be a driving force for change. If Zane had lived the series would be so different. I'd probably not complain, mind you, but I have to admire the way Westerfeld crafted the story so tightly that everything just seems to fit. *sob* Zane.

~Jenn~
Jenn-la

Cash: 1

Postby tridecalover on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:14 am

Honestly, I think Tally is to blame.
I understand that Scott intended for Zane to die. He made it so generalized (for lack of a better word...I can't think of the right one...crud) But Scott made it so generalized that no one person could be blamed. Considering that Tally had to choose between David and Zane, it only made sense that something would have to happen to the person who wasn't chosen. He would have to be out of Tally's life forever or else he wouldn't stop trying to get back together with her. It's clear that neither of the guys was going to back down and even if one did, Tally wasn't going to let either out of her life and they would constantly be so close to eachother that it would bring them back to the original problems.
One had to get out of her life forever. And there was only one logical way to do that. As long as one was still alive, Tally would have found him one way or another.
Now, Why Zane? That's easy. Where would the story be without David? He was the first (and possibly only) human to be born in the wild. The only human with actual human instincts. He was part of the main and original story, there from the very begining. Of course...Zane was there first, but we never really knew him until the second book. He just...had to go.

But if I had to blame someone, it'd be Tally. She was too cowardly to take the pills. To do the one thing she had actually SIGNED UP FOR! Literally.
tridecalover

Next

Return to Uglies. Pretties, Specials, Extras